Re: [GR] DD should be allowed to perform binary-only uploads

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007, Stephen Gran wrote:
> ballombe has already found differences between an emulated environment
> and a real cpu, where the test suite failed on qemu and passed on a real
> cpu.  I have no confidence that it can't fail the other way.
I am sorry - could you please refer to that case?

it is interesting to see if the problem doesn't lie in some obfuscated
bug withing build tools. In my experience valgrind complains about so
much of the code shipped, especially on non-i386 architectures
obviously. Some incorrect memory read/write could successfully pass
without segfaulting on real but fail on emulated machine, or vice
versa - just a matter of luck. That would not invalidate build process
on emulated box, imho I would even consider it another QA test more for
the build tools involved than to QEMU ;)

--
                                  .-.
                   Linux User    ^^-^^    [175555]