Re: [GR] DD should be allowed to perform binary-only uploads

Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> wrote:

> On 2007-02-08, Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr> wrote:
>>
>> --PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9
>>
>> Dear Debian voters,
>>
>> I hereby propose the following General Resolution for sponsoring.

>> The Debian project resolves that Debian developers allowed to perform
>> combined source and binary packages uploads should be allowed to perform
>> binary-only packages uploads for the same set of architectures.

> Why do you want to lose the ability to do src+bin uploads for arm+alpha?
>
> Or shouldn't there be a "all release candidate archs" somewhere in
> there?

Huh?  I read it as the exact opposite.

If I'm not mistaken, any DD is currently allowed to do uploads
containing binary packages of any arch if the condition is met that the
upload also contains new source.  In short: src+bin uploads are
currently allowed.

What this GR would change is that either

- no one is allowed to do pure bin *and* src+bin uploads, only pure src
  uploads are allowed, or

- pure bin uploads are allowed for any arch, or

- there's a list of arches for which only pure src uploads are allowed.

> Alternatively, this can be interpreted as a GR for source-only uploads.

Indeed.  That should be made clear.

Also, the wording seems unclear: "Debian developers [...] should be
allowed".  "Should" normally means something: "need not in all cases,
but really should except if there are strong reasons against".

Which seems to be just the current situation, from the point of view of
those who have the power to reject binary uploads...

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)