Re: electing multiple people

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote: [...]
> It's not about opinions.  It's about people.  The problem most often
> materializes when there are heated opinions, but the fundamental problem
> is when people can't work together with mutual respect.  If you end up
> with people who intensely dislike each other, the group will have an
> exceedingly hard time reaching consensus on anything.

There are two situations in danger of being confused there:
 - people who intensely dislike each other; and
 - people who intensely dislike each other's views.

> [...] unless there's some feeling that the other members of the
> committee "have one's back" so to speak and are willing to put some effort
> into presenting a united front, I think you're going to have a really
> serious burnout problem.

I would be disappointed and fairly concerned about a social committee
which presented a united front in most ways, except how to deal with a
problem.  I think we should be expecting a social committee that
speaks with several voices about a problem, but agrees a course of
action.

> [...]  In other words, to what degree is the committee expected to be
> a decision-making body and to what degree is it expected to be a
> facilitator?

Personally, I expect it to be a facilitator almost always and almost
never a decision-making body.  Sometimes I expect it to suggest how to
decide something, but give everyone involved opportunities to avoid a
destructive decision by their own actions.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef