Re: electing multiple people

Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net> wrote: [...]
> So, scrapping that - how does the election of multiple candidates in
> the SPI board election work? (weasel?)

Badly.  I think it's similar to election-by-blacklist.  It seems
particularly vulnerable to prejudice and smears, which should kill off
any debian social committee if those influence its election.  If we
used a similar system, social committee couldn't really predict
consensus with most minorities, because only majority-acceptable
representatives of minorities (poodles?) would get elected.

Proportionality is very important for a social-committee.  If it has
deep disagreements on certain topics (like Anglo-Victorian values, for
example), then it will be correctly reflecting the wider social
situation.  The important thing will be to give it deadlock-busting
working methods.

In more detail on the SPI voting system:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.org.spi.general/482
http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2007/spi#elections

Hope that helps,