Re: On the "Debian Maintainers" GR

wrote:
> > Essentially the proposal allows non-DD maintainers (we have 900+, see
> > the thread starting at [1] for details) to upload their own packages IF
> > AND ONLY IF their sponsor has indicated agreement with that by having
> > added the "DM-Upload-Allowed: yes" in the control file of the previous
> > upload.
>
> Actually, no. The proposal states that a DM can upload their own
> packages, and that any maintainer can allow DM NMUs by adding that field
> to the control file.

<quote proposal=http://www.debian.org/vote/2007/vote_003>
The initial policy for the use of the Debian Maintainer keyring with the
Debian archive will be to accept uploads signed by a key in that keyring
provided:
1) none of the uploaded packages are NEW
2) the Maintainer: field of the uploaded .changes file corresponds with the
  owner of the key used (ie, non-developer maintainers may not sponsor
  uploads)
3) none of the packages are being taken over from other source packages
4) the most recent version of the package uploaded to unstable or
  experimental includes the field "DM-Upload-Allowed: yes" in the source
  section of its control file
5) the most recent version of the package uploaded to unstable or
  experimental lists the uploader in the Maintainer: or Uploaders: fields
  (ie, non-developer maintainers cannot NMU or hijack packages)
6) the usual checks applied to uploads from Debian developers pass
</quote>

from 4) above follows that they can't just upload all their packages by
default, every package needs to have been previously white-listed for
upload by a DD (ok, so sponsor was a bid to narrow, but since every DD can
sponsor any new upload by a non-DD maintainer if he wants it amounts to the
same thing)

and 5) explicitly says that DMs can't NMU

--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)