Re: Debian Maintainers GR Proposal - Use Cases

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 09:18:57AM +0200, Frank K?ster wrote:
> However, like Pierre, I'm not convinced that the numbers of actually
> interested people is large.

I suspect one reason that this thread hasn't resulted in many people
expressing an interest is that non-DDs tend not to read debian-vote.
There may be a larger demand for this than is apparent.

Anthony Towns wrote:
> FWIW, I'm happy to put the work into this even if not many people end
> up using it.
>
> Cheers,
> aj

Good, I'd like to see this go ahead. Let me explain why.

I'm a fairly active (non-DD) member of the Java Packaging team, and I
also maintain a couple of non-Java packages. Although I'm starting to
become reasonably skilled at Java packaging, I'm far from ready to apply
for NM. For example I don't know all of the details about packaging C
libraries, or Perl etc., and (since I am concentrating on Java
packaging) I do not currently have a desire to learn about these areas
of packaging. It's a "depth-of-knowledge" versus "breadth-of-knowledge"
thing.

Once I have sufficient experience, however, I *would* like to have
upload rights for "my" packages - subject to the conditions already
listed in the GR. Sometimes obtaining sponsorship can be a frustrating
experience, involving delays of weeks (I'm talking in general here, not
about the Java Team!).

I think this GR would be good for me, and good for Debian as a whole.

Paul