Re: Debian Maintainers GR Proposal

On 11057 March 1977, Anthony Towns wrote:

[ In case some of the stuff below is already answered in different mails
- pointing me at them is enough. I just had no time to read all of them,
way too large thread. :) Thanks. ]

> The Debian Project endorses the concept of "Debian Maintainers" with
> limited access, and resolves to

I wonder what currently not existing problem this should solve.

> 	* that the applicant provides a valid gpg key, signed by a
> 	  Debian developer (and preferably connected to the web of
> 	  trust by multiple paths).
> 	* that at least one Debian developer (preferable more) is willing
> 	  to advocate for the applicant's inclusion, in particular to the
> 	  fact that the applicant is technically competent and good to work
> 	  with.

For NM there is also: "If the NM *only* has a signature by the advocate,
he needs to get one more at least". Where one more means global web of
trust connection, not neccessarily DD.
Ie NM foo with advocate bar, and only key sig is bar -> get more sigs.

>    All additions to the keyring will be publicly announced to the
>    debian-project list.

Yay, floods.

> 	* the Debian Account Managers have requested the individual's
> 	  removal for any reason.

<joke>
Yay. "No milk from him during last DebConf". I like this. :)
</joke>

Im not sure that this helps. You still need sponsors, as you cant upload
NEW packages. You even need them if you take over another package. So it
doesnt replace the sponsoring system. IMO it would be better to try and
find a good set of guidelines for DDs wanting to sponsor people, not
trying to get more people able to upload stuff.

What this also does is getting you out of touch with your (possible)
sponsors, as now you let them upload once, advocate you, then you upload
following versions yourself. A year later you have a new package and
need to find a sponsor again, beginning from point zero.

And also - how do you want to handle the case that someone might be in
uploaders field of other packages already, because he is doing lots of
work there and so co-maint, at the time of applying as "DM"? I mean, do
you ask all other package maintainers if they would be ok with them
possibly able to upload their packages now, without being a DD?
Or is this a "dont care, and if it happens lets remove their rights"
thing, waiting for a possible fuckup and acting on it then?

--
bye Joerg
<mechanix> anyone from the MIA team around? tbm?