Re: Proposal: GR to deal with effects of a personal dispute

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 11:43:29AM +1000, Brian May wrote:

>     >> > Do we really want to go into creating castes of DDs ?
>     >>
>     >> No, but it's already happened.  Let's move on.
>
>     Sven> I prefer fixing it, now is the right moment to solve it once
>     Sven> and for all in the right way.
>
> Just an observation:
>
> This whole problem seems to be because everyone, from both "sides", is
> thinking about the situation in terms of what *they* want or don't
> want:
>
> * I want these flame wars to go away
> * I want the mailing lists to become technical content again
> * I want Sven to go away and not come back
> * I want Sven to stop posting so much
> * I want Sven to stop posting inflammatory posts
> * I want to be sure these problems don't reoccur
> * I want Debian to treat me fairly
> * I want Debian to treat developers fairly
> * I want Debian to have fare processes to deal with this in the future
> * I want ...
> * etc
>
> Some of these may or may not conflict. No particular order. I probably
> missed some.
>
> This strategy is not going to work. Just saying "I want ..." is not
> going to convince the other party to change their mind and give it to
> you.

Notice that in the above, i said : "i prefer fixing it", and notice the
semantic difference between that and "i want". But then maybe we don't
speak the same language. I guess none of this matters though, since
debian has decided to expulse me anyway, just like they did for
Jonathan/Ted Walter, without ever thinking of setting up a procedure to
handle expulsion fairly.

Sadly,

Sven Luther