Re: Question for all candidates, was: Google SoC 2007 - we're in, sign up quickly!

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 09:22:40AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Bastian Venthur <venthur@debian.org> wrote:
> > Looks like Google is really everywhere these days. I'm curious about
> > SoC: What where the last year's Debian projects and what was there
> > outcome? Which projects where successful and which failed?
>
> Excellent questions!
>
> Steve McIntyre wrote in "Bits from the 2IC" last September:
>
>   "The Google Summer of Code[0] is over, and final reports have been
>   submitted. Most of our students worked well right up to (and in some
>   cases beyond) the end of the summer, and hopefully we'll see some
>   useful results from their projects coming to light soon. Expect a
>   more detailed summary of what was achieved, coming soon to a d-d-a
>   list near you."
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/09/msg00009.html
>
> but after that, I didn't find another search result until he mentioned
> the 2007 marketing campaign.  Is this the sort of "fire and forget"
> reporting that we would expect if Steve McIntyre were elected DPL?

As Raphaël said, often this is because the DPL (or, as in this case, the
2IC) was expecting some sort of detailed report from someone else.
Because that was taking quite some time, Steve decided that rather than
waiting (and leaving the project as a whole in the dark), it was much
better to give at least a short summary about what he knew, and then
give the full report later, rather than trying to write the full report
himself.

If writing the full report wasn't Steve's responsability, then it's not
fair to blame him that it didn't happen, either.

> How would other candidates avoid dropping topics like this?

The only way you can do that is by actively asking people to produce a
report when they said they'd do so.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22