Re: Question for all candidates: Importance of unofficial archives

Hi,

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> How important are unofficial archives[1] for you? What whould you do to
> support them, if you consider them important? What could be done to
> integrate them into official Debian structure?

All unofficial archives serve a purpose, but they are not all compatible
with Debian's primary goals.

I'm all in favor of integrating backports.org in a dedicated section
"<codename>/updates". The rules that govern backports.org are already very
similar to the usual Debian rules, so it shouldn't be a technical problem.
And we certainly have many users who want to run some specific new
upstream version of a small list of software. We should however advertise
clearly the limitations of that section if we're not able to offer the
same level of commitment than we do for our main repository.

I'm also interested in the integration of the volatile repository but it
looks like something is already in preparation... :-)
$ getent group volatile
volatile:x:1222:aba,zobel

The problem with debian-multimedia is AFAIK mainly license-related
problems and since Christian Marilalt is DD, I hope that he already tries
to integrate every bit that can be integrated into Debian proper.

I've never used debian-unofficial, but as I browse the site I see the name
of Daniel Baumann which is also a DD, so it looks like to face a similar
situation than debian-multimedia.

Supporting new repositories imply several changes that concerns primarily
the ftp-masters. If they don't have the time to add the required support, I'd
support the setup of a second dak installation accessible to volunteers
where they can implement the required changes and at the same time prove
to ftpmasters that they are capable, and can be considered as new members
of the team.

Raphaël Hertzog