Re: [GR] DD should be allowed to perform binary-only uploads

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 11:58:46AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> wrote:
> > Julien BLACHE wrote:
> > > Could be at the request of the Project, via a GR I think, if the DPL
> > > was, say, unwilling to act and fix a broken situation wrt
> > > infrastructure administration and developer access to the said
> > > infrastructure.
> >
> > Unlikely.  SPI usually has a defined authorisationship with an associated
> > project, this refers to people, not the project as a whole or their
> > developers or their internal voting results.  However, a GR should be
> > able to kick the DPL out of leadership and the next vote would install
> > a new DPL who would then have a say.
>
> That's almost the opposite of my understanding: SPI refers to projects
> and their decision-making as a whole, not particular people in them.
>
> SPI says the following on project management:
>
> Each Project has its own formal or informal internal structure and
> procedures. SPI will not interfere in the internal decision making
> of Projects, unless this is requested by the Project or its rules and
> procedures. [+2 more paragraphs]
> http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/2004-08-10-iwj.1
>
> What says SPI only listens to the DPL, not the project?  AIUI, the DPL
> is appointed as an adviser to SPI's board, not a veto.

Further down the resolution, which you snipped:
---- snip ----
Following informal discussions of Associated Project status with members
of the community, if satisfied the SPI Board will pass a resolution
inviting the project to become Associated with SPI.

This resolution will state the SPI Board's current understanding of who
is authorised to act for the project; it will invite the project to join
with SPI according to this Framework; and it will state a date at which
the invitation will lapse if not accepted.

The DPL being advisor to the board is a seperate issue to them acting as
as the authorised decision maker.

Neil
--
<Tincho> 'Maybe you can try to find a nice hotel by shouting in the Mexico DF
    streets "where could a gringo find a decent hotel in this dirty third