Re: [GR] DD should be allowed to perform binary-only uploads

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 01:24:21AM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > I agree that the way the restriction was implemented was odd, but I can
> > see the point of it.  I doubt that the occasional one off binNMU is
> > going to have very much affect on the quality of the archive overall,
> > but I do have serious misgivings about people setting up rogue
> > autobuilders on a whim.

>   Well, now is the point where the discussion will go about buildd's
> admin reliability I suppose ...  Btw, I wonder, why rebuilds, putting
> packages in dep-wait and any other repetitive tasks need _the_ buildd
> admin to be done ? Why can't any maintainer do that with a proper signed
> mail ?

The error rate on requeue requests that reach me is significant, even from
people who are well-informed and involved in the process (e.g., fellow
release-team members).  Maybe they're less cautious because they know I vet
all requests, but I would expect that opening dep-waits/requeues up to the
general dev population would result in a *lot* of unnecessary rebuild tries,
stuck packages holding up transitions, etc., because the average developer
simply isn't clued in on this stuff.

Heck, before m68k was dropped as a factor in package propagation into
testing, I was routinely finding bogus dep-waits set by the m68k buildd
maintainers themselves, and that's only about a half-dozen people.

FWIW, I got w-b access after demonstrating that I knew what needed done,
regularly feeding batches of give-back requests to Ryan and James for builds
that were release priorities/had obviously gone missing/had long-standing
build problems that had been resolved, and generally not trying to be a jerk
by telling them how they "should" be running things.  Aurélien got the first
part of this back in December by keeping tabs on missing builds on arm and
feeding this to James, but then he proceeded to set up a rogue autobuilder
when he decided things weren't working to his satisfaction, so it's kinda
hard to look at that and say yes, this is someone we should bring in to
collaborate directly on w-b stuff for that arch.

(No, I have no idea what this has to do with -vote.)