Re: Amendment - Restricted-media amendments to the DFSG

Le vendredi 07 avril 2006 à 10:26 +0100, mjr@debian.org a écrit :
> Delete the following text from the resolution:
>
> - -         it is still possible to distribute the source code and compiled
> - -         code together on at least one machine-readable medium."
>
> and replace it with:
>
> +         it is still possible to distribute the source code and compiled
> +         code together in the debian archive and official images."
>
> I ask the proposer to accept this amendment. Failing that,
> I ask for seconds so that it may appear on the ballot.

This formulation is better in one sense, as it avoids licenses being too
restrictive. However it tangles the DFSG with the current media we are
distributing our packages on, and I don't like that much.

For example, the "keep the source online" clause of the MPL is
DFSG-free, but the current architecture of the archive doesn't allow us
to obey this clause. The DFSG shouldn't restrict software we can't
distribute because of how we distribute them.

As the two options are valid, I'd like both of them to appear on the
ballot.