Re: The Curious Case Of The Mountainous Molehill

Craig Sanders wrote:

> the DFSG also allows that the modification may be by patch only.

No, it does not.

Quoting DFSG 4, with emphasis added:
> The license may restrict source-code from being distributed
> in modified form _only_ if the license allows the distribution
> of "patch files" with the source code for the purpose of modifying
> the program at build time. THE LICENSE MUST EXPLICITLY PERMIT
> DISTRIBUTION OF SOFTWARE BUILT FROM MODIFIED SOURCE CODE.

I have looked, and I can find no provisions in the GFDL explicitly
permitting distribution of software built from modified source code.

In fact, when I look, the license explicitly requires invariant sections
to be included in opaque copies.