Re: The Curious Case Of The Mountainous Molehill (was Re: A new practical problem with invariant sections?)

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:29:05 +1100, Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> said:

> you people love to recycle the same lies over and over and over again.
> i'm becoming convinced that it is a deliberate strategy - repeat the
> same lies and eventually everyone will just give up out of exhaustion.

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 01:42:44PM -0700, Hubert Chan wrote:
>> 3a only says that a binary has to be *accompanied* with the source
>> code.  Hence it can be on a separate medium.  So you can distribute
>> your 1KB chip, stapled to a CD-ROM that contains the source, and
>> still comply with the terms of the GPL.

> you can do the same with GFDL documents. e.g. the stupid coffee cup
> example so popular with you zealots - if you can't fit the invariant
> sections on the cup itself, then print it on paper and include it in
> the box. "problem" solved.

I was not discussing any problem with the GFDL.  I was showing you that
your reading of the GPL was incorrect.  The GPL does not require you to
stick the full source onto the same 1KB chip as the binary, as you
claimed that it did.

> for some reason, though, you zealots ignore that inconvenience, or
> treat it as free for the GPL and other licenses, but consider it
> beyond the pale and non-free for the GFDL.

>> But it gets even better.  You don't even have to accompany the binary
>> with the source itself.  If you want, you can instead:

> the GFDL has a similar provision.  you can provide a link to an
> internet address containing the full document.

Please show me where the GFDL has such a provision.  The passage that
you previously attempted to use was shown to you to apply only to
*transparent copies* (i.e. the source), and not to the full document
that includes the invariant section.  You have yet to show any other
passage that might provide such permission to just include a link.
Until you do that, please stop making such unfounded claims.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA