Re: DFSG4 and combined works

Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 10:07:31AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
>> Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg> writes:
>>
>> > We all know that GFDL is incompatible with GPL, but if the sorce was
>> > covered by BSD-like license there is no problem - you can satisfy the
>> > requirements of the BSD license by additional invariant section.
>>
>> But the resulting program would be a non-free program.
>
> In this paragraph I was talking about the opposite process - you can
> borrow already existing docstrings from a BSD-licensed program and
> include them in your free GFDL covered manual.

But that isn't my point.  My point is that you can't include the
GFDL'd material in any free program.  (Or, by doing so, you render the
program non-free.)  This is not controversial; even the FSF agrees.

The question is, is it an important thing to be able to do?

I think the answer is obviously yes.