Re: DFSG4 and combined works

Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg> writes:

> Suppose we have a license X that makes use of this rule of DFSG.  In
> particular the X license gives us only the following permissions with
> respect to the source code:

>    1. Permits to distribute and build unmodified copies of the source
>       of the program.

>    2. Permits to distribute "patch files".  It is not necessary to
>       require the distribution of the "patch files" together with the
>       original source code even though DFSG seams to allow such a
>       requirement.

>    3. Permits to use the "patch files" for the purpose of modifying
>       the sources of the program at build time.

> Suppose that the works A and B are covered by X and C is a combined work
> based on A and B.  Under these conditions the sources of C can not be
> distributed because theyr distribution form should have simultaneously
> the form sources_of_A+patches_for_A and sources_of_B+patches_for_B and
> this is impossible.  (The formal proof of this impossibility is too
> abstract, but I hope the following analisys will make it clear.)

What is the point of all this again?

Even if I buy your analysis, which I don't (it's resting on the assumption
that there's some way to phrase the license that disallows a patch to be a
derived work of both A and B at the same time, and I don't see where
you're getting that), it's irrelevant.  The DFSG doesn't require that
arbitrary derived works may be made from any two pieces of software in the
archive.  We have quite a bit of software that is otherwise free which
cannot be combined with arbitrary other pieces of software.  Consider
OpenSSL and any GPL-covered program, for instance.  That doesn't make
either of them non-free.

So I don't understand what you're trying to get at, or what possible
relevance this theoretical discussion could have to anything else we're
talking about.