Re: Anton's amendment

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 18:53, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 18:23:43 -0700, Wesley J Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net>
said:
> > Manoj, I really don't see how you can believe that this proposal is
> > "novel and unconventional", but if you really, *honestly* believe
> > that, and you are not pushing a 3:1 because of your personal views
> > about the GFDL, I guess I understand your position.
> >
> > Anyway, I don't think I agree with your take on this proposal, but I
> > do agree that you should do your job as secretary as honestly as and
> > objectively as possible. If you are truely doing that then I support
> > you even if I think you are wrong. =)
>
>         My personal beliefs do not have any bearing on actions I takew
>  with my secretaries hat on, to the best of my ability to do so.

Manoj, I know this should be an implicit to give the project secretary, but
I don't know you personally. Thanks for saying this--I respect that a lot.

>         I do believe that "The license must allof for modifications"
>  does mean that any modification of the work must be
>  permissible -- not just modifying whatever the author gives you
>  permission to modify.

Well, to a large extent I agree with you--I certainly would prefer software
with that property myself!--but I still feel that that's a question of
interpretation, not of fact.

Anyway, I won't argue any further about it; I've posted more than enough on
this topic. I suppose if the Debian project at large wants this change
enough, they'll jump through the 3:1 hoop. (I'm still not even sure what
I'm going to vote for myself.)

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>