Re: Anton's amendment

Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> writes:

> It does prohibit code reuse, which I think is one of the things under
> discussion here.  Code under this license can't be mixed with code under
> the GPL, as I'm sure you're aware.  Similarly one could say the GFDL
> does not prohibit modification of the program, merely of *part of the
> manual*.

The fact that licenses are incompatible is not a DFSG problem.

Of course, the GFDL doesn't prohibit modification of the program; this
is not in dispute.  The problem is that the GFDL'd doc cannot, itself,
be modified at liberty.

> So would an invariant section that only preserved attribution be free?
> If so, why?

How is such a thing invariant?  We *already* have the case of the GPL,
which is DFSG-free, and which requires attribution.  This does not
impede a problem.  What is an "invariant section" which can be changed
at liberty, provided you retain an authorship credit?  I think such a
thing is (1) free, and (2) not invariant.