Re: Anton's amendment

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 20:09:15 +1100, Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> said:

> On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 01:22:02AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Could some one tell me why including the invariant sections of a
>> GFDL licensed work in main would not require us to modify the DFSG
>> or the social contract?

> because the GFDL is not a non-free license.

> GFDL invariant sections do not make a document non-free.  see DFSG
> patch clause.

>> Specifically, I am looking at the SC:
>>
>> And the DFSG:
>>
>> We would need to change the must allow modifications bit, as I see
>> it -- since a license attached to a work must allow modifications
>> to the work, as it is currently stated. (I do not consider the
>> license to be part of the work).

> no, it's not necessary to change anything.

> DFSG patch clause.

> read it.

> explains all.

> restricting modifications to original + patch only is explicitly
> permitted.

        But one is supposed to be able to distribute the patched
 derived work. In this case, I should be able to have the orig.tar.gz
 contain the invariant, the diff.gz contain stuff to remove the
 invariant, and the .deb not contain it.

        That seems not permitted.

        manoj
--
Bringing computers into the home won't change either one, but may
revitalize the corner saloon.