Re: Anton's amendment

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 08:09:15PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> >         Specifically, I am looking at the SC:
> >
> >         And the DFSG:
> >
> >         We would need to change the must allow modifications bit, as I
> >  see it -- since a license attached to a work must allow modifications
> >  to the work, as it is currently stated. (I do not consider the
> >  license to be part of the work).

> no, it's not necessary to change anything.

> DFSG patch clause.

> read it.

> explains all.

> restricting modifications to original + patch only is explicitly
> permitted.

Restricting *source* modifications to original + patch is explicitly
permitted; this compromise was allowed because it was understood that it
still allowed us to put anything we want to in the *binary* packages
generated from this patched source, and is therefore not a substantial
restriction on our and others' ability to do what we want to with that
software.

The question of whether an integrity of author's work exception should be
extended to binary packages in the case of documentation has never been
voted on by Debian.