Re: Amendment: GFDL is compatible with DFSG

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:11:29AM +0200, Fabian Fagerholm wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 17:39 -0600, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> > I think everyone is forgetting this one (IMHO pretty reasonable)
> > option:

> > - Works licensed under the terms of the GNU FDL but with no
> >   invariant-foo comply (or may comply) with the DFSG, but we still
> >   refuse to distribute them, because of the significant practical
> >   problems that this would cause both for us and for our users.

> A valid point, but at least the three problems you list don't seem
> sufficiently problematic.

> > The notable practical problems I'm alluding to would include:

> > - All Debian mirrors must retain source packages one year after the
> >   corresponding binary packages are deleted

> This is hardly impossible, or even difficult. We still retain sources
> for Woody, released in 2002.

Yes, and under this license we would still have to keep those sources around
for a year *after* we stop distributing woody in binary form.  And provide
for backups & network reliability, since losing our copy would leave us in
violation of the license.  Given that archive space has been a big issue for
us over the past year, I don't see how you can assume this is "trivial".

> > - Debian CD vendors must either ship source CDs to all customers
> >   regardless of whether a customer wants them, or maintain their own
> >   download mirrors.

> I don't see how GNU FDL, section 3, paragraph 3, amounts to CD vendors
> having to maintain their own mirrors. If Debian already retains source
> for a year, then "reasonably prudent steps" on their part would be to
> point the customer to the Debian mirror network and cease distribution
> when Debian does so.

Wow, you think it's "prudent" to rely on an external organization with whom
you do not have a contract for your compliance with a license?  Most
businesses would *not*, and I doubt most judges would either.