Re: DFSG, GFDL, and position statementsd

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 08:36:19AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le dimanche 22 janvier 2006 à 13:13 -0600, Manoj Srivastava a écrit :
> > A) The delegates decision that the GFDL licensed works are non-free is
> >    wrong, the GFDL meets the DFSG. Override the delegated decision,
> >    and  issue the following statement "..."
> > B) The delegates decision that the GFDL licensed works are non-free
> >    does not hold for works without invariant sections, modify the
> >    delegated decision to allow works with no invariant sections in
> >    main, and issue the following statement "..."

> I fail to see why these positions don't require 3:1 supermajority. As
> currently, no sane interpretation of the DFSG can lead to such
> statements, especially for A), we would have to modify the DFSG to fit
> the requirement.

Because the constitution does not specify a standard for sanity or
rationality.  It may be *irrational* for the project to claim that the GFDL
with invariant sections meets the DFSG's requirements, and the passing of
such a GR might leave me with no confidence whatsoever in the judgement of
this project, but neither of those is grounds for imposing a 3:1
supermajority requirement.  Indeed, if 50% of voting developers are
sufficiently out of their minds (or sloppy in the exercise of their duty)
that they'll vote for a ballot option that contradicts reality, keeping them
from winning this particular GR isn't very comforting at all...