Re: Amendment to GR on GFDL, and the changes to the Social Contract

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:41:19 +0100, Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> said:

> Hi, the text of the amendment says at its very end:

> ,----
>> Since this amendment would require modification of a foundation
>> document, namely, the Social Contract, it requires a 3:1 majority
>> to pass.
> `----

> But AFAICS it does not propose a textual change to the SC, just a
> change of its meaning, or interpretation or whatever.

        I am afraid I was responsible for that rider. I should
 apologize for not sending a clarification earlier, but I was
 inadvertently away from my keyboard since my laptop's graphics card
 died just as I was going off on a business trip

> I have a couple of questions about this:

> - Has this been done previously?  If yes, where can I find a
>   collection of all decisions that have thus "changed" the SC?

        Err, we have had two GR's that changed the SC -- the so called
 "editorial changes" GR, and the GR that deferred the changes for
 Sarge.  But in each case we followed through and changed the text of
 the SC.

> - Shouldn't we add a sentence to the SC, something like "In a couple
>   of cases, the interpretation of this Social Contract or how it
>   should be spelled out in technical details was controversial among
>   the project, and votes have been taken.  The results of these
>   votes are at hyperlink> "?

> As for the intention of the amendment, it seems to me that it relies
> heavily on the assumption that the excempted clauses are simply bugs
> of the license text and not the actual intention.  Given how bad
> communication with the FSF was wrt to the GFDL, I doubt that we can
> sure about this...

        The fact that the license is buggy does not change the fact
 that works licensed under it would violate the DFSG. Given that, any
 resolution to allow these works to remain in Debian would require a
 rider to be added to the SC, something of the form:
- Debian will remain 100% free
+ Debian will remain 100% free, apart from works licensed under the GFDL
   (the exact wording can be decided upon if the amendment passes).

        Since this requires a modification of a foundation document,
 the amendment requires a 3:1 majority.

        manoj
--
signal(i, SIG_DFL); /* crunch, crunch, crunch */ Larry Wall in doarg.c