Re: Proposal to delay the decition of the DPL of the withdrawal of the Package Policy Committee delegation

* Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> [2006-10-27 08:49]:

> On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 06:10:46PM -0500, Debian Project Secretary wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >         As I count, this resolution to delay the decition of the DPL
> >  of the withdrawal of the Package Policy Committee delegation  has
> >  received 2K sponsors, which means that § 4.2.2.2 of the constitution
> >  to be called into action.
> >
> > ,----
> > | 4. The Developers by way of General Resolution or election
> > |   4.1. Powers
> > |     3. Override any decision by the Project Leader or a Delegate.
> > |   4.2. Procedure
> > |     2. Delaying a decision by the Project Leader or their Delegate:
> > |          1. If the Project Leader or their Delegate, or the Technical
> > |             Committee, has made a decision, then Developers can override
> > |             them by passing a resolution to do so; see s4.1(3).
> > |          2. If such a resolution is sponsored by at least 2K Developers,
> > |             or if it is proposed by the Technical Committee, the
> > |             resolution puts the decision immediately on hold (provided
> > |             that resolution itself says so).
> > |          4. If the decision is put on hold, an immediate vote is held to
> > |             determine whether the decision will stand until the full vote
> > |             on the decision is made or whether the implementation of the
> > |             original decision will be delayed until then. There is no
> > |             quorum for this immediate procedural vote.
> > `----
> >
> >         So, an immediate procedural vote has to be held to determine
> >  whether the decision will stand until the full vote, on the decision
> >  is made or whether the implementation of the original decision
> >  (i.e. withdrawl of delegation from the policy delegates) will be
> >  delayed until then.
> >
> >         I am proposing the following draft ballot for this immediate
> >  vote, while I go about setting up the voting infrastructure.  The
> >  vote page containing the details of this general resolution is not
> >  yet up, but as soon as it is it would be found at:
> >    http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_008
>
> You are overpassing your rights as secretary, it is not for you as secretary
> to call for a vote, or take any such actions, but it is only the proposer and
> the seconders who can do such.

I completely disagree with you. The constitution states "an immediate
vote is held" and I don't see that only the proposer can call for a vote
in this case. The way I read it it's not necessary that the proposer
needs to call for a vote in this case.

I very much appreciate the secretarys work.

If you and several others still feel that it is necessary for me as
proposer to call for a vote I will send out a signed mail later today.

yours Martin
--
http://martin.wuertele.net/ -- Debian -- OFTC -- SPI -- maxx@debian.org
<azeem> "apt meldete, es werden ca. 70 Pakete deinstalliert werden