Re: [PROPOSAL] Final consensual proposal for the problematic firmware issue in the linux kernel sources.

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 09:04:48AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 06:49:17 +0200, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> said:
>
> >   4. We allow inclusion of such firmware into Debian Etch, even if
> >      their license does not normally allow modification, as long as
> >      we are legally allowed to distribute them.
>
>         This clause is a violation of the DFSG, being able to modify
>  whatever we ship (apart from license texts) is a core part of what
>  free software is. Electing not to apply the DFSG violates the SC,
>  which says everything we produce would be free according to the
>  DFSG.
>

>         No matter how you look at it, this proposal supersedes either
>  the DFSG or the SC, or both, even though it does so only
>  temporarily -- and superseding a foundation document requires a 3:1
>  super majority.

Probably, but then choice 1. of the ballot currently under vote should have
had 3:1 supermajority also, which added to misleading wording of the short
title compared to the actual content of the proposal, cast some serious doubt
as to the validity of the vote being currently held.

Friendly,

Sven Luther