Re: [PROPOSAL] Final consensual proposal for the problematic firmware issue in the linux kernel sources.

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 06:49:17 +0200, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> said:

>   4. We allow inclusion of such firmware into Debian Etch, even if
>      their license does not normally allow modification, as long as
>      we are legally allowed to distribute them.

        This clause is a violation of the DFSG, being able to modify
 whatever we ship (apart from license texts) is a core part of what
 free software is. Electing not to apply the DFSG violates the SC,
 which says everything we produce would be free according to the
 DFSG.

        No matter how you look at it, this proposal supersedes either
 the DFSG or the SC, or both, even though it does so only
 temporarily -- and superseding a foundation document requires a 3:1
 super majority.

        I suggest eliminating this clause.

        manoj
--
Try to get all of your posthumous medals in advance.