Re: Firmware vote rationale

Le jeudi 12 octobre 2006 à 14:23 +0000, Thaddeus H. Black a écrit :
> Choice 2 ranks below Further Discussion mostly because I
> am not yet sure that granting kernel upstream a
> permanent special privilege the DFSG denies other
> upstream developers is prudent in the long term.

I think you are misunderstanding the proposal. The "privilege"
disappears as soon as anyone provides a technical way to install Debian
on hardware requiring these firmwares. There are already good ideas on
how to do it so it's more a matter of personal investment than time.
This could even - although very hypothetically - be done for etch if
someone did all the required work.