Re: A summary of the current firmware GRs

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 22:15:02 +0200, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> said:

> On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 09:36:09PM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
>> Yodel!
>>
>> With the first (?) CfV out now about non-free kernel firmwares:
>>
>> I'm not going to vote, sorry.  I don't have the time to wade
>> through tons of mailing list archives, of which 1/3 is repetitions
>> of previously made statements, 1/3 is presumably flames or close to
>> it, and 1/3 is trivial corrections, with the few substantial
>> arguments scattered in it...
>>
>> In short: did anybody do a reasonably balanced and concise writeup
>> about what is going on on the firmware front regarding
>> - what are the important arguments and counter-arguments?
>> - who supports which options?

> More information can be found at the start of :

>   http://wiki.debian.org/KernelFirmwareLicensing

        I like the clarifications. However, this is missing an
 important affirmation, that the Etch kernel shall not be a regression
 of freedom from the Sarge kernels.

        We affirm that progress has been made, and so it should not
 be a problem to say Etch kernels shall be at least as free as Sarge
 kernels. If Etch kernels are not as free as Sarge kernels, then we
 should remove the the clause abuot making progress, since that would
 be untrue.

        manoj
--
One should avoid evil like a merchant with much goods and only a small
escort avoids a dangerous road, and like a man who loves life avoids