Re: Call for votes (Was: kernel firmwares: GR proposal)

Hello,

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 04:02:11PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> As I mentioned previously, I don't think point 3. here is the compromise I
> would like to see.  "Without further conditions" is so broad that it seems
> to even *require* us to include firmware in main that lacks any sort of
> proper distribution license.

The intention is indeed to release the kernel as-is for Etch, postponing
the work which needs to be done in contacting vendors and upstream to
get relicensings and source disclosures until after the release.

> And indeed, the upload of a completely
> unpruned 2.6.18 package to unstable suggests that this is not an accident of
> wording, but the actual view of the present kernel team.

It is at least my actual view, the others should speak for themself.

We will discuss this issue on the kernel-team meeting next Saturday, how we
should handle the re-added firmwares, and seek a workable compromise.

Dropping for example the apparently useless dgrs driver could be an
option, or drop the drivers not needed for installation, which means
basically one driver (acenic) from the originally pruned ones would be
the non-free regression in comparison with the sarge kernels.

But this should be decided by the whole kernel team.

Best regards
Frederik Schueler

--
ENOSIG