[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Let's vote ... (Was: kernel firmwares: GR proposal)

Manoj, ...

This issue remains, and it is still not solved. This has got the approval of
Steve Langasek (who said that his proposal and this where orthogonal and a
separate GR), of our DPL, who said he would postpone his own GR proposal for
post etch, as well as the proposer of this GR.

There also is clearly no amendment proposal of this GR, only of the various
and numerous other GR proposals out there, and it is clear now that we either
have to have a period of calm and reflection before going ahead, which is
better done once etch is released, or sit back and see various well-thinking
DDs filibustering the vote process upto irrelevance.


Sven Luther

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 05:54:25PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Hi all.
> We are quickly reaching the point where holding a vote on this issue and still
> maintaining a timely etch release, so i believe that we should held a vote on
> this issue sooner rather than later.
> This GR, which was seen by Steve as orthogonal to his GR, is about the etch
> release and not about more generic issues like if firmware are programs, and
> or what was meant 10 years ago when the SC was coined, or how we should modify
> it.
> I thus propose that we held a vote ASAP, a real vote, not a poll, about what
> we are going to do about etch :
>   1) postpone the non-free firmware issue as proposed in this GR proposal.
>   2) delay etch until we finish discussing this issue and then implement the
>   resulting course of action.
> (Well, 2 is probably the status quo and further discussion, so we don't really
> need another option for that, and further discussion serves just as well).
> I would like to ask then that :
> 1) Manoj, can you propose a ballot proposal for this one ? 
> 2) All those who proposed other GRs, i would like your comment about this, on
> wheter this is orthogonal to your proposal. I would strongly recomend that you
> either vote for or against delaying this issue post-etch, and continue with
> your discussion without being distracted by the issue concerning the etch
> release, maybe have a larger discussion following Anthony's proposal
> culminating at the Edinburg debconf'07 next july.
> So, let's vote on this proposal, and then we can either continue to discuss
> this without having to deal with the etch release deadlines, or delay etch
> appropriately while we first discuss a solution and then implement it.
> Friendly,
> Sven Luther
> -- 
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-vote-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Orange vous informe que cet  e-mail a ete controle par l'anti-virus mail. 
> Aucun virus connu a ce jour par nos services n'a ete detecte.

Reply to: