Re: Proposal: Source code is important for all works in Debian, and required for programmatic ones

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 10:07:18PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> Because there appears to be some residual confusion[1][2][3] about
> what I actually proposed and its content, here is the proposal as it
> currently stands. The proposal is only the content between BEGIN
> PROPOSAL and END PROPOSAL.

I like this proposal, and will soon second it, but there are a few points i
will like to clarify :

>   C. Reaffirms its continued support of users whose hardware (or
>      software) requires works which are not freely licensed or whose
>      source is not available by making such works available in
>      non-free and providing project resources to the extent that
>      Debian is capable of doing so.

"to the extent that Debian is capable of doing so." What is the alternative to
that ? not ship it ? Or ship it in main until "Debian is capable of doing so" ?

>   D. Requests that vendors of hardware, even those whose firmware is

I think "Request" is a bit strong here, i would much have prefered a less
arrogant and will actually have more chance to be not dismissed out of hand by
the actual hardware vendors.

Friendly,

Sven Luther