Re: Firmware & Social Contract: GR proposal

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 01:11:18AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> >     (e) Following the release of etch, the Debian Project Leader shall:
> >           i.   ensure that the Debian community has a good understanding
> >                of the technical and legal issues that prevent the Debian
> >                Free Software Guidelines from being applied to logos and
> >                firmware in a manner that meets the needs of our users;
> >           ii.  ensure that project resources are made available to
> >                people working on addressing those issues;
> >           iii. provide a report to the Debian community on progress
> >           achieved
> >                in these areas at DebConf 7 in Edinburgh.
> Previous and current DPLs have not done any of this yet; why should we
> believe that the DPL will do this next time?  :-/  It seems like a
> commitment which isn't going to actually work.

Previous and current DPLs haven't made such a commitment to personally
work on it. Nor has anyone else -- instead the social contract's been
used as an attempt to force other people to work on stuff that they're
not actually interested in, eg:

  I'd rather suggest to give a direct hint in time. Like "until etch
  releases", so that people wanting non-free firmware have to do the
  techical stuff and not the people wanting control over what their
  computer do.

    -- http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2006/08/msg00089.html

People wanting the change are the ones that have to do the work; trying
to rearrange things so people who are happy with things as they are
do the work for you tends not to work terribly well for big jobs in
volunteer groups.

Cheers,
aj