Re: Firmware & Social Contract: GR proposal

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 10:19:50AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> "Marco d'Itri" <md@Linux.IT> writes:
> > As usual you forget that we also have that other commitment to our
> > users, and that we used to pride ourselves in providing the best free OS.
>
> There is an absolute ranking in Debian, that *first* we must provide
> 100% free software, and *second* we do whatever we can to help our
> users consistent with the first.

Sorry, but that is just wrong.

"Our priorities are our users and free software", is what the social
contract says. It does not list any priority, anywhere; both priorities
are equal.

Even if you would want to read a priority in there, then it is obvious
that "users" comes first in the sentence, so if any, the first of those
two priorities would be "users", not "free software".

Not that I think we should go ahead like that, but claiming that the
requirement that something Must Be Free is absolutely ranked above what
is the best for our users is, at best, a misrepresentation of the truth.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22