Re: Firmware & Social Contract: GR proposal

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 10:31:57AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Following the social contract change, we have been able to remove most
> of non-free stuff from the distribution, especially documentation.

Removing non-free documentation had been a planned release goal
for etch since August 2003, prior to the SC GRs entirely. See
http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2003/34/, eg.

> It wasn't easy and we couldn't make it in time for sarge, but we can make
> it in time for etch. For etch, we have the remaining firmware issue. And
> just because we can't meet our expectations for firmwares, we should
> abandon them all?

No. Ceasing to make commitments we can't keep doesn't mean we should
stop meeting the commitments we can. Which is why the bullet points you
didn't quote were in the proposal.

I have: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/08/msg00015.html

> Etch will have a *lot* less non-free stuff than sarge. This
> should encourage us to go in this direction, not to step back because of
> a difficulty.

Indeed.

> First, it is a fact that we are going to release etch with non-free
> firmwares. There is no decision to make here, it is too late.

That is not true. If the majority of developers (or users, IMO) wanted
us to delay etch instead of release with sourceless firmware that's what
would happen.

Cheers,
aj