Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 08:04:51PM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 05:08:33PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > It lists "images, video, and fonts".  And I'm assume it's going to cover
> > > more than just that.  I'm also not sure that this is something we want
> > > for all types of data.

> > I think we *want* the best possible form for modification for all types of
> > data.  I don't think the DFSG *requires* this, and therefore I don't think
> > *we* should require it.  Do you disagree?

> I think we should require it.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion on that, of course.  I disagree,
because I don't see that the DFSG requires it, and I don't think it's worth
delaying a release over (which is how I understand "require").

> The DFSG says we need the source, and I understand that as the best
> possible form for modification.

The DFSG says we need the source for programs.

> For instance, bison/yacc generates a C file.  You could consider that
> C file a source, but it's not.  We want the original file that was used
> to generate that C file.  There might be several layers of tools that
> are used to generate an object file from it's source, but it's the
> source we want.

Presumably we're all in agreement that this is a program, though, not
data...