Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

If there is a vote, I will vote AGAINST granting a special
exception to firmware, or considering firmware as data.  Manoj's
arguments are compelling IMHO.  In addition, the proposed GR makes no
mention of blobs, which are binary-only pieces of software that execute
*in kernel space*, *on the central processing unit*.  Linux contains
a few blobs.  I would therefore:

- oppose a GR waives the requirement for "source code" for "firmware"
- propose a GR that bans both blobs and firmware from main, especially
  from the linux packages in main.  If something is redistributable but
  not modifiable in "the preferred form for modification" (source), then
  it belongs in non-free.

The proposed GR mentions that some firmware requires non-free tools in
order to create it from source code.  Just because no free tools exist
*now* does not imply that no free tools will *ever* exist; and just
because some vendor tries to lock people in with non-free firmware does
not mean we should accept to be locked in.  I think we should learn from
OpenBSD on this front.

--
Ludovic Brenta.