Re: calling firmware code data is not being honest with ourselves, includes counterproposal and RFC on a possible Amendment

Le jeu 24 août 2006 14:08, Sven Luther a écrit :
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 11:48:56AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > The only way you can argue this is by not understanding the
> > proposed GR: a boot sector is not firmware since it's loaded from a
> > disk to run on the same CPU which will later run the OS.
> >
> > (Not that I would have any objections to shipping it in main, since
> > this would help and not hinder the cause of free software.)
>
> I understand perfectly well the purpose of this GR. It is to say that
> we should accept non-free firmware in main, without saying clearly
> they are often binaries obtained from some sort of source.

my understanding is that it's about accepting blobs that are sourceless
and "licensed" under a DFSG-free license as acceptable for main.

which is rather different, and completely disallow random firmware to go
in main:
 * if there is a source, the source must be DFSG free ;
 * if there is no source, and that the firmware cannot be modified e.g.
   => non free;
 * if there is no source, but that the blob is modifiable,
   redistribuable, ... then we tolerate it in main.

It's very far from the apocaliptic scenario you are depicting.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit