Re: calling firmware code data is not being honest with ourselves, includes counterproposal and RFC on a possible Amendment

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 11:48:56AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> sven.luther@wanadoo.fr wrote:
>
> >> This is FUD.  Nothing in this proposal says that we will ignore licenses
> >> when distributing firmware or any other works.
> >Maybe, but you take the first step toward this, so when will you stop ? Also,
> http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/slippery-slope.html
> HTH.
>
> >there are currently stuff in non-free, or even which was rejected in non-free,
> >which could arguably be using the same kind of permissibility as the firmware
> >code, like the miboot apple copyrighted boot sector, which is only 256 bytes
> The only way you can argue this is by not understanding the proposed GR:
> a boot sector is not firmware since it's loaded from a disk to run on
> the same CPU which will later run the OS.
>
> (Not that I would have any objections to shipping it in main, since this
> would help and not hinder the cause of free software.)

I understand perfectly well the purpose of this GR. It is to say that we
should accept non-free firmware in main, without saying clearly they are often
binaries obtained from some sort of source.

All the rest is just cosmetic blabla, and Steve even said so himself.

Friendly,

Sven Luther