Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 01:38:41PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > You are silly in pretending that the DFSG and the widely shared
> > > consensus among developers always intended considering them non-free
> > > and inappropriate for main.
>
> > The last of the three pre-sarge non-free GRs confirmed the fact that firmware
> > is indeed a code binary, and should have source.
>
> No, it did not.  Reread the GR that passed; it says nothing about firmware
> or source code.

The discussion leading to it did clearly and numerously mention the firmware
issues, together with the GFDL documentation, the fonts, and a couple of
others maybe i don't remember.

The first GR was the one where we decided to keep non-free, and there already
non-free drivers and firmware where mentioned as one of the reason to keep
non-free. The second GR was the cosmetic change one, which left us with a
(new to some) interpretation including fonts, documentation and firmware as
software needing source. The third was a reaction to this one, where we
decided to waive this requirement for sarge, in order to get sarge out in a
timely fashion.

Now, you are, in disrespect of the decision taken back then, and with lot of
sugary wrapping to make it pass easier, trying to go back over those
decisions.

I don't care about word play, or nit picking, it is only the plain fact which
counts, and nothing you will say will change what was decided back then and
what you are trying to decide now.

Friendly,

Sven Luther