Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

* Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> [060823 11:15]:
> Le mercredi 23 août 2006 à 09:48 +0100, Enrico Zini a écrit :
> > >         4. determines that for the purposes of DFSG #2, device firmware
> > > shall also not be considered a program.
> >
> > I'd personally prefer the 4th point to read:
> >
> >           4. determines that for the purposes of DFSG #2, device firmware
> >   shall also not be considered a program until it will become practical
> >   to do so.
>
> I like the idea, but I think it could be better worded.
>
> How about:
> 	4. Determines that as a special exception to DFSG #2, source code for
> device firmware will not be required until we have the technical means
> to split them out in a convenient way for our users.

I'd rather suggest to give a direct hint in time. Like "until etch
releases", so that people wanting non-free firmware have to do the
techical stuff and not the people wanting control over what their
computer do.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link