Re: Donations

* MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> [2006-06-20 08:27]:

> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 07:27:08AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote: [...]
> > > Which countries can have no suitable organisations?
> >
> > I don't know, but I don't want to gamble on it not being an issue.
>
> I've looked into this in the past and every example country
> suggested so far, from European ones through to the Solomon
> Islands, had some form of tax-beneficial not-for-profit
> organisation.  Arguably, a state without such an organisation is
> not a good place to store debian's money anyway.  If you must,
> add some words like "or near equivalent" to it.  The intent
> should be clear: BigRetailerCorp is not a place for donations.

In some countries like e.g. Austria it is quite difficult to get the
tax-deductable status for donations while it is fairly easy to get tax
exumption for them.

If a company holds money on behalf of Debian and they don't charge
Debian with taxes that is fine imo as the Debian-money is not touched by
taxes in that case.

yours Martin
--
<maxx@debian.org> ---- Debian GNU/Linux - The Universal Operating System
<Tolimar> Alfie: Nein, die CDs aus dem letzten Jahr waren noch nicht