Re: Questions for all candidates about developer behavior and abuse

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 03:33:23PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 04:53:40PM -0500, Andres Salomon wrote:
> > At what point does a Debian Developer's behavior cross the line from
> > annoying to destructive?  At what point should the Developer be removed
> > from the project [...]
> I tend to think crossing the line once should result in polite correction;
> crossing the line repeatedly, in spite of correction, should result in
> some sort of action being taken to limit the harm, and removal from the
> project should only happen when those limitations have proven ineffective.

So I avoided this part of Andres' question:

> > As DPL, how would you go
> > about the process of removing a Developer from the project (both the
> > public, official process, as well as any private/unofficial processes).

My position on expulsion is it's an absolute last resort, and an
indication the project's failed -- we should be able to find ways to get
people who want to contribute to Debian to be able cooperate productively
with each other no matter what foibles they have.

So in essence, I'm not willing to support an expulsion 'til we've tried
a whole bunch of things to try to make the problem go away, whether
that be separating the individuals at conflict, giving formal warnings,
giving some formal processes for communication to avoid misinterpretation
or unnecessary conflict, or whatever else.

OTOH, while we aren't willing or able to do any of those in-between steps,
I'm not going to oppose expulsion attempts either. :-/

Cheers,
aj