Re: question for all candidates

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 05:44:05PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> The first was Chip Salzenburg's request for a key update, subsequent
> flaming over lack of responsiveness, and eventual resignation. AIUI,
> Chip happened to make the request when James was particularly busy,
> including increasingly demanding requests each day following that for a
> week, and pestering James on work channels (#ubuntu-devel). Chip's key
> updates were included in the next keyring update, unfortunately after that
> had escalated into a flamewar on -devel, and Chip's resignation. The DPL
> sent a request through to James about how that was handled, which James
> responded to in some detail. To the best of my knowledge there was no
> further followup from the DPL or the DPL team.

Indeed, Chip also asked the DPL (team) about this repeatedly, and in my
humble opinion, a bit impatiently, requesting response times
disproportional to the issue at hand -- the key was presumed compromised
since at least June (when the story hit slashdot), but yet keyring-maint
was to the best of my knowledge contacted no earlier than October to get
a replacement key in.

I was asked by Branden to look into this, but before I actually came
around to really contact James Troup, after verifying proper procedures
were followed in the first place, Chip already resigned. Because I
didn't at that time and don't at present perceive any problem with
keyring-maint, I didn't want to bother James at all w.r.t. this
question. After all, as far as I can briefly see, the last >2 week gap
between keyring updates was a year ago, no updates between 25 Feb and 18
Mar 2005. Such track record is actually quite impressive. Kudos, James!

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl