Re: Question to all candidates about stable point releases

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 02:27:56PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> These changes are all great and will help problems in the process, but
> they don't help finding an ftpmaster to a) respond to mails from the
> SRM, b) assign time to implement the update and c) finally do the
> update.  It's window-dressing what you're doing here.

I think you're mistaken, and leaping to judgement.

> I fact I even once wrote that I don't want to become an ftpmaster as
> well.  However, releasing stable updates just doesn't work as it
> should.  Hence, I've reconsidered and requested to become an
> ftpmaster.

And I'll leave that to others to decide, but I don't think it's a good
idea at all. There are, for instance, a range of outstanding RC bugs
on sudo as a result of the security release for it that need fixing,
which aiui aren't being worked on -- adding further distractions from
the time you can spend on fixing problems like that doesn't seem a win
for the project. Even if it were, I'm not convinced that "You're all
incompetent, give me access" is a good way to join a team.

> This disclaimer is in the status because I don't have permissions to
> do the update on my own.

Note that the release managers also don't have permissions to do those
updates directly, but rather make use of tools similar to the queue