Re: Question to all candidates about stable point releases

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 02:27:56PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> These changes are all great and will help problems in the process, but
> they don't help finding an ftpmaster to a) respond to mails from the
> SRM, b) assign time to implement the update and c) finally do the
> update.  It's window-dressing what you're doing here.

I think you're mistaken, and leaping to judgement.

> I fact I even once wrote that I don't want to become an ftpmaster as
> well.  However, releasing stable updates just doesn't work as it
> should.  Hence, I've reconsidered and requested to become an
> ftpmaster.

And I'll leave that to others to decide, but I don't think it's a good
idea at all. There are, for instance, a range of outstanding RC bugs
on sudo as a result of the security release for it that need fixing,
which aiui aren't being worked on -- adding further distractions from
the time you can spend on fixing problems like that doesn't seem a win
for the project. Even if it were, I'm not convinced that "You're all
incompetent, give me access" is a good way to join a team.

> This disclaimer is in the status because I don't have permissions to
> do the update on my own.

Note that the release managers also don't have permissions to do those
updates directly, but rather make use of tools similar to the queue
process.

Cheers,
aj