Re: Questions about Ubuntu

Bill Allombert <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:

> As I understand, this aspect is completly lost in Ubuntu. Most major
> design decisions in Ubuntu are made by developers working for Canonical,
> not volunteers.

This is entirely untrue. I've made a large number of design decisions in
Ubuntu, and am not a Canonical employee. The specifications that guide
most aspects of the OS design are written in collaboration between
Canonical staff and other developers, even though responsibility for
implementing those specifications often falls to staff.
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+specs has the list of current
specifications.

(I reply for information rather than because I think a discussion of the
Ubuntu development process is especially topical or interesting)

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.vote@srcf.ucam.org