Re: DFSG4 and combined works

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:52:33PM +0100, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg> [060210 11:36]:
> > On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 01:54:27PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > >
> > > It does prohibit some modifications which are useful.
> > >
> > > Geez, reference cards.  Useful!
> >
> > You can make reference cards but if you make more than 100 copies you
> > have to accompany the reference cards with additional sheet(s) of
> > paper.  The other licenses have the same limitation - you may not
> > distribute the reference cards alone.  Depending on the license you
> > may be required to accompany each reference card with the full text of
> > the license, with history who and when has edited the document, with
> > the sources in machine readable format, various copyright notices, etc.
>
> No, you cannot. At least I found nothing that allows to keep a invariant
> stuff out.
>
> There's is nothing restricting
> "H. Include an unaltered copy of this License."
> (not that e.g. GPL speaks about "give any other recipients of the Program a
>  copy of this License along with the Program") or
> "L. Preserve all the Invariant Sections of the Document, unaltered in
> their text and in their titles. Section numbers or the equivalent are
> not considered part of the section titles."
>
> So a reference card is already quite complicated, a shortcut-cup is
> practically impossible.

Both are possible.  You ship the reference card or the cup together
with the invariant sections printed on regular sheets of paper and the
requirements of GFDL are satisfied.

> The 100 copies is only for front and back-cover texts and about
> a machine-readable non-opaque copy.

Yes, you are right.  If you want to ship the reference card in some
electronic format, then the document has to contain on separate pages
both the reference card and the invariant sectins.

Anton Zinoviev