Re: GFDL GR, vote please!

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:43:30PM +0200, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 06:59:04PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:22:12AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > In spite of the Project Secretary's determination that this ballot
> > > option requires a 3:1 supermajority because it modifies the DFSG,
> > > given that I can't reconcile these claims that the GFDL always
> > > complies with the DFSG with any (IMHO) reasonable reading of the
> > > DFSG themselves, I am left without a suitable consistent
> > > interpretation that I can apply in the exercise of my own duties.

> > The interpretation being proposed seems to be "the DFSG allows certain
> > restrictions on modifications, including the GPL's interactivity
> > notification stuff and the GFDL's unmodifiable sections, with others
> > potentially to be determined later". That seems reasonably easy to apply:
> > deal with the existing ones as is, and assume there'll be another vote
> > in future should any more come up.

> The interpretation that I hold is the following:

>        The license must give us permissions to modify the work in
>     order to adapt it to various needs or to improve it, with no
>     substantive limits on the nature of these changes, but there
>     can be superficial requirements on how they are packaged.

> However this interpretation is not part of my proposal.  My proposal
> invalidates some possible interpretations of DFSG but it doesn't state
> which interpretation is the correct one.

Which is for me a big problem, given that mine is one of those
interpretations that's invalidated -- and, according to my reading, so is
*yours*, since being unable to remove multiple pages of essays when
borrowing a few paragraphs of text is a "substantive limit".  I don't really
have anything to replace it with; Anthony's interpretation is certainly
pragmatic, but I find it fundamentally unsatisfying.  I'd probably take it
over an existential crisis, though. ;)