Re: Anton's amendment

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 01:16:55PM +0100, Frank Kuster wrote:

> >> Why?
> >
> > Because even if you want to create a compilation of all GFDL works
> > ever released all over the world, the invariant sections that
> > currently exist are very few.
>
> So the license is "currently free in practice", because the option to
> thave invariant sections is only used by mainly one copyright owner who
> continues to add the same invariant sections over and over again?

I am unable to see how you can make a conclusion like that provided
you cited what I actualy wrote.  I will repeat the dialog:

Margarita: the invariant sections can be a problem for compilation works

Anton: 1. Currently there is no such a problem.
       2. Even if there is such a problem we already acknowledge as free
          some licenses that prohibit compilation works

Roger: Why?

Anton explains why 1. and 2. are true.  I am not goint to repeat the
explanations.

> Do you really think that such a license is in fact free?  What would
> happen if more people used it with the invariant sections option - at
> which point would it get non-free?  Don't you see that such a reasoning
> can never lead to a general guideline about freeness, and must therefore
> be rejected?

It is no less free than the licenses that directly prohibit compilation
works.

Anton Zinoviev