Re: Anton's amendment

Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 03:11:25PM -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:
>>
>> Ok, but by being invariant they are turning the documentation into
>> non-free documentation. As you say, people won't be able to change it,
>> therefore, it's a non-free text.
>
> The modifications that are permited by GFDL are enough to make useful
> modifications, that is to adapt the document and to improve it.  Yes,
> you can not do whatever you whish but this is not necessarily the
> right interpretation of DFSG.

Subject to minor licence considerations, I'm free to modify any piece
of software in Debian to satisfy my needs.  However, this does not
apply to many GFDL works.  "Append only" modification isn't really
freedom in my book; even if it is considered free, it's a long-term
maintenance nightmare.

>> As it has been discussed here, having the Manifesto attached as
>> invariant is not only non-free, but also quite problematic when you
>> are trying to produce a derivative work that is either a) a
>> compilation of many documents
>
> With the currently existing documents this is not a problem.

Why?

> Moreover, Debian already accepts some licenses that forbid
> compilations.

Would you care to provide examples?  They would probably be non-free.

>> b) a reduced version of the document (as in a cheat-sheet or
>> similar)
>
> This is allowed.  When you distribute such documents you have to
> accompany them with the invariant sections but thats all.

"That's all"?!  That's a serious restriction.  Have you fully
considered the implications?

>> c) printed on some non-paper medium (for example, a cup)
>
> Also allowed.  When you distribute such cup you can accompany it with
> the invariant sections printed on paper medium and thats all.

And you think that's acceptable!!  Even when the invariant sections
total fifty pages of irrelevant paper-wasting garbage?

>> d) you want to give out copies to students and want to minimize
>> cost.
>
> I doubt someone can make a formal rule that the free works have to
> minimize the distribution cost and I hardly see how such a rule fits
> in the context of DFSG.

You aren't free to remove parts you don't want.  We wouldn't accept
that in source code, and I fail to see why documentation should be any
different in this particular respect.

Regards,
Roger

--